Recently I went back to my development VM which contains AD, Win Server 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010, etc. I use this VM to build a number of demo sites and when I tried to search, I cannot get any results.
I went to Search Administration to see what is the issue, whether I turned off the crawl, did not set the correct content source, or what. The first thing I see is the propagation status is Query Component is not responding. So my first instinct is to check the error log in event viewer and ULS. The error I got is:
* file copy failed (error 0×80070035: The network path was not found). 0×80070035, source C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\data\office server\applications\[Guid]-crawl-0\projects\portal_content\indexer\cifiles001000F.ci, destination \\Machine Name\[Guid]-query-0\[Guid]-query-0\Projects\Portal_Content\indexer\CiFiles000.0001000F.ci.cp) [indexpropagator.cxx:403] d:\office\source\search\native\ytrip\tripoli\propagation\indexpropagator.cxx
Looking at this error, I assume it has to do with SharePoint unables to copy/move index files from crawl temp folder to query search folder. So to resolve this, I went to ensure WSS_WPG group has full control access to the destination folder.
However, when I looked at the shared folder permissions and security, WSS_WPG group already has the appropriate access.
The next thing I do is to ensure I disable the loopback check, because I only use a single server for my environment, and Windows Server 2008 has a loopback check. So I follow the steps specified in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861
After disabling the loopback check and recreating a new Search Service Application, I checked whether the propagation to Query component has been successful. Unfortunately, it gave me the same error.
Then I remember that I use to have performance issue with this VM and I disabled a number of services and uninstall the unnecessary components. One of the things I uninstalled is File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks in my network card properties. So I installed it back in the network card.
After restarting the machine, and recreating the Search Service Application, I ran the fresh crawl and hope for the best. Couple minutes later (since it only contains a number of demo sites with minimal content), I can see successful propagation. Yay me!!
So in summary, if you have a problem with Query Component 0 not responding, please ensure you check:
- WSS_WPG has the right permissions to the shared folder
- If it is a single development server, ensure you disable loopback check
- Ensure you have File and Printing Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed in your network card.
That’s all from me. Happy SharePointing!!